Addressing Pain is an essential part of my medical massage and qigong practice. On September 8, 2017, I attended a lecture on the Mystery of Pain by Douglas Nelson, at the Oregon School of Massage. Mr. Nelson is the current President of the Massage Therapy Foundation, and has been in clinical practice in the Midwest for over 22 years,
Here are my takeaways from the talk. The audience is LMT's who want to better treat Pain, but the information can also help patients seeding treatment to clarify how therapists can best help. My emphases are in bold and in italics are my understanding of how to translate the takeaways into more effective Pain treatment.
1. Pain is a global health problem.
3. Therefore, treat Pain as a mystery rather than a puzzle.
4. Pain is different from nocioception
5. The Brain wants to provide a story for the Pain
7. The brain is neuroplastic
8. Massage is uniquely positioned to address Pain on many levels.
9. Patients in Pain want answers to questions
10. If you don't know, tell the truth, give options, and answer with authority
Addressing Pain is an essential part of my practice and I am always seeking to learn more. If you would like to schedule a consultation at my Earthbody Wellness Center studio, 3810 SE Belmont, Portland, Oregon, 97214, please Contact Me
Marian Wolfe Dixon
MA, LMT (OR #3902)
NCTMB Approved Provider
Continuing Education for Massage Therapists, CHt, TCMBB.